Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Reflection


[Sidebar / Quick Intro]
When it comes to the topic of "Spirituality" I am intentional about NOT writing posts that come across as a "campaign" for my faith. That being said, my (Christian) faith is a big part of who I am, and I believe that people of different religions share core values that can inspire each other and guide our lives in a positive way.
...

I wanted to share a small part of my experience this weekend during a somewhat large Christian holiday :). On Sunday, I went to church with my parents for Easter. During the Sermon, our Pastor talked about when Mary Magdalene and the women who witnessed Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection. She talked (yes, she - rock on, Episcopalians!) about how afraid and devastated the women were throughout the experience - but despite their fears, they decided to have faith and push through, and trust that things were happening exactly as they should.

I felt a sense of peace hearing these words on Sunday. The story of Mary Magdalene and the experiences of the disciples' in the Resurrection can serve as a powerful reminder (any day) that even though life can be scary, sometimes the best thing we can do is to push through and trust. Trust that good plans are in store for us. Trust that despite our fears, grief, sadness, and troubles, that we are learning and will become stronger people in the end.

On that note, I wanted to share two quotes. The first is one of my favorite verses in the Bible which has brought me tremendous comfort during difficult times in my life. The second is a beautiful poem I came across online that I just LOVE!

Happy Monday!

Philippians 4: 4-7 (New International Version, 2011)

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with Thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

To Believe Is to Know (by Ali Ibrahim)

To believe is to know that every day is a new beginning.
It is to trust that miracles happen, and dreams really do come true.

To believe is to see angels dancing among the clouds,

To know the wonder of a stardust sky and the wisdom of the man in the moon.

To believe is to know the value of a nurturing heart,

The innocence of a child's eyes and the beauty of an aging hand,
for it is through their teachings we learn to love.
To believe is to find the strength and courage that lies within us.

When it is time to pick up the pieces and begin again.

To believe is to know we are not alone,

That life is a gift and this is our time to cherish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment