Friday, April 1, 2011

Meet Lucy :)

"Quit visiting Facebook and play with me instead! Hello!"

On Saturday, September 18, 2010, I took a ferry to Port Orchard, WA with my wonderful friend and colleague Sarah to meet "Luna." I found Luna on petfinder.com (after losing my mind and subsequently deciding to adopt a dog, or perhaps vice versa) and decided to take a leap of faith.

Luna was adopted that day, and a few weeks later was renamed Lucy. For the record, I am not a fan of celestial new-agey names, so I decided to go with a human name (my preference) that was a two-syllable "L" name. Let's not make it too tough on the dog...

Since then Lucy has gone leaps and bounds (literally and metaphorically). My mother (a fellow rescue dog owner) told me it takes an average of 6 months for a rescue dog to adapt to their new environment, and it is so true. Lucy has become my best buddy and has been my stronghold for the past few weeks when I've needed her the most. I truly believe dogs know when you're having a shitty day and can pick you up. At least from time to time. Said most simply, I love that my dog makes me laugh every day.

Playtime at work with Tonka (L) and Lucy (R)....in Lucy's kennel.

The result of two hours playing in the rain in Sarah (and Tonka's) back yard. Poor Sarah...

Why is this a post on my Blog? Because Lucy makes me a happier healthy person and improves my quality of life. If you are unable to adopt a dog, I'd encourage you to look into dog sitting, fostering, or volunteer work for a mood booster :). There is also a new program for volunteers who are willing to take care of dogs for deployed soliders - how wonderful!

Here is a video of Lucy (black dog) with her best friend Tonka (yellow lab) when Tonka was just a few months old. They play together 2-3 days each week at work non-stop and make Sarah and I very happy (and distracted).

video

No comments:

Post a Comment