Saturday, April 2, 2011

QW Pillar 1: Meditation


The first Pillar of Wellness that Freston describes is Meditation. Kathy starts by saying:

"Meditation is a word that scares a lot of people. They don't think they're the 'kind of person' who could possibly sit for long stretches with an empty mind. I'm not asking you to do that. Meditation, as I use the word, is simply a state of quiet contemplation. It involves turning your focus inward for at least a few moments at a time so you can access a deeper reality" (QW, 22).

I like Freston's phrase: "quiet contemplation." How often does your day involve a state of quiet contemplation? I'll admit it's a rare occurrence for me during the (work) week.

When meditating, Freston suggests keeping your practice simple by saying a mantra, such as "I am here." I like this idea...

While I have never been one to meditate, it's something I've wanted to try in recent years. Imagine if we just took 5 mins out of our day each day to sit in silence and breathe. Recently, more and more studies have come out about the health of individuals who have practiced meditation over the years. So why not try it out and reap the benefits!

No comments:

Post a Comment