Friday, May 27, 2011

The Facebook addiction: take a week off?


I'll admit that I'm one of the many people who are addicted to Facebook (FB). I check it every day, update my status regularly, and love seeing new photos posted by friends. I simply find FB entertaining.

HOWEVER...

When I think about all the time I spend on FB, I can't help but wonder about what I am sacrificing. For example: the things on my "eternal to-do list" that NEVER seem to get done - does my Facebook usage prevent me from tackling these things? (ie. yoga class, cleaning my home, laundry, reading, writing, running, cooking, etc.) Answer: YES...

This month, I've realized I've been spending too much time on FB. I had a wake up call this evening, when my friend Celeste brought up a friend of ours, wondering how they were doing, and I was able to tell Celeste exactly what they were up to in the last hour. Point made.

Celeste and I decided that I need to give up Facebook for a week. I think this undertaking will be way more difficult than I would imagine. Sad.

LATEST UPDATE (9:26 PM)

Margie: "I think I'm going to start it on Monday."
Celeste: "Why don't you start it this weekend?!"
Margie: [MAJOR sad, frowny face]
Celeste: "Margie, you have a three day weekend to get so much shit done, and you want to wait until MONDAY!?"
Margie: "This conversation is going on this Blog post."

CONCLUSION:

I have issues. Major issues. I told Celeste that I don't know if I would be able to start tomorrow. That would be torture. Celeste offered to change my password and give me back my old password at the end of the trial. Ick. That would be the real deal.

OKAY, it will start TOMORROW, May 28th and end at 12am on Saturday, June 4th.

Wish me luck!

BOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment