Saturday, June 11, 2011

Massage - makes the ick go away?


I've been getting massages on a monthly basis (on and off) for about four years. It is my monthly treat to myself, and I firmly believe that massage is one of the best things we can do to take care of ourselves, because it provides comprehensive benefits to our health:

Mentally: it allows me to decompress and quit thinking for one full hour (which, if you know me, is close to impossible).

Physically: I've seen amazing benefits while I am exercising or training, for relieving sore muscles and providing injury prevention.

Emotionally: it destresses me big time. I am able to let go of negative energy, and when I leave, I feel much calmer and at peace with myself and life in general.

...

Sick day turned better?

For the past 5 days, I have felt like crap. Today at 3pm I realized that I had a massage scheduled at 5pm and I panicked. Normally, I look forward to a massage more than anything else during the weekend. However, today I was worried that it would be a bad idea to go under my crappy circumstances.

After learning about the $25 (under 24 hrs) cancellation fee, I decided that I should just suck it up and go. Since sleeping for hours and drinking buckets of water hadn't seemed to help (so annoying) I figured - what do I have to lose?

When I arrived, my massage therapist, Maria (at Elements Massage in Greenlake), said "You made the right decision. After this massage, you will feel so much better." Maria explained that when you are sick, getting a massage is ideal because your body releases heat and and the icky toxins from your body, guiding the healing process.

Boy was Maria right. During the massage, I (physically and mentally) felt the icks leaving my body. The massage was awesome too - she used a heating pad and peppermint oils on my back for the first 20-30 minutes and it felt like Vick's Vapor Rub to the extreme (in a great way).

I would highly encourage anyone who has not had a massage to give it a go. If it's not your thing, that's okay - but at least you'll know you did something nice for yourself and tried it out...

No comments:

Post a Comment