Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Small efforts CAN pay off!


This week I've been short on energy and motivation - to say the least. I haven't been able to do anything productive outside of work - especially exercise. Last night I got home and was completely exhausted, feeling like I had very little to give. After a few minutes, I decided that I should at least TRY - so I put on my walking shoes and headed outside. I ended up walking to the dog park and back (bonus point: huge hill on the way home) and enjoying the first day of Summer in Seattle (which was a gorgeous day, I'll add).

Looking back, while I was only able to muster up a 2 mile power walk, it was worth it in the end. I got out of the house, destressed, spent time outside, exercised my dog, got some color on my face (note: while wearing SPF!) and got my metabolism going. Not insignificant when you think about it...

During the weeks that you feel like you have only a little to give - don't feel bad that you "only" went for one run, or "only" cooked 2 healthy meals. While your efforts may not be optimal, little things DO add up and can make an impact on your overall wellness!

EXAMPLE

Did you know that 3,500 calories equals about 1 lb (0.45 kilogram) of fat, so you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in to lose 1 pound. So, if you're looking to slim down this Summer, just cut 500 calories per day and you could lose a pound of week (if not more, with exercise)! This could mean skipping that second beer at happy hour, and the bag of chips at lunch! (Mayo Clinic)

Make this week a great week for you with small, healthy changes!

No comments:

Post a Comment