Thursday, July 14, 2011

Wellness Diva #8: Megan (The Optimist)



I am so incredibly excited to introduce our 8th Wellness Diva: Megan Saulsbury.

I had the pleasure of meeting Megan when we were bridesmaids together in our friend Andrea's wedding last Summer. Andrea had told me that her and Megan were best childhood friends, so I knew this gal would be awesome and a treat to hang out with.

When I first met Megan, we were getting pedicures and manicures the day before Andrea's wedding. Everyone had sat down to get pampered, except for Megan, who started serving everyone champagne and fruit! She was so excited to give to others and be a part of the day. I could tell within minutes that Megan was a cheerful, fun, loving, beautiful, and happy person (and that we'd have a blast that weekend!).

Megan "relaxing with a fabulous banana daiquiri, truly allowing myself to just be and enjoy life."

The morning of Andrea's wedding day, Megan and I took a walk to Starbucks while everyone was getting their hair done. I learned about Megan's business (Canyon PR) that she started on her own, as well as the kind of woman Megan was and how she lives her life.

What I appreciate the most about Megan is the constant positive energy she carries with her, both individually and in her relationships with others. Megan is an optimist. She is thankful for each day and inspires others to live life to the full - these are two core values that Megan and I share (so naturally, I'm biased :).

Megan with her niece and nephew, Sophia and Preston ("I LOVE being an auntie!")

That being said, I wanted to highlight Megan's optimism, which I find incredibly powerful and inspiring. So, enough with the details - let's hear from Megan!

1. What makes you an optimist? Where do your core values stem from? Were they something you were taught at an early age, or did you realize certain things along the way?


Over the past few years I've grown so much as a woman and am constantly working on enriching my life and bettering myself to live a healthy lifestyle, and hopefully, impact the lives of others. What I think is the biggest tool in helping me to do so is embracing each day with an optimistic attitude. Life truly has so much to offer and the possibilities and opportunities we're blessed with are endless! When you tweak your mindset to viewing life in this manner, you can't help but embrace each day with an optimistic attitude. I strongly believe that if you're handed a challenge or obstacle in life, be grateful for it and stay positive about the end result. After all, you're only given what you're strong enough to handle.

2. Are there conscious things you do to help you maintain positive thinking, optimism, etc? What are things in your life that make your happy and help you live a balanced life?

One habit I've incorporated into each day is saying "Thank you" right when I wake up. Is there a more positive way to start your day, haha?! I love waking up in the morning with a sense of excitement - "What's going to happen today?!" "What am I going to do?!" "What's in store?!" Life is the best gift we could ever be given, so I try to focus on noticing, appreciating and being grateful for everything and everyone in life. I also think it's important to note that your create your own happiness. You can't depend on others to make you happy. That's one thing I used to struggle with, but over time, I realized by living a positive lifestyle and appreciating the little things in life, I've found happiness in myself. Sure I love going out to fancy restaurants covering myself in sequins and glitter, but I also LOVE staying in and watching a classic old movie with a take-and-bake pizza and some wine. Life is what you make it, so why not make the most out of everything!

3. When you run into a challenge in your life, what do you do to enact a positive approach to addressing the issue?


To be honest, I freak out for a few minutes, haha, but I allow myself to embrace each emotion! Then I focus on controlling my emotions and simply tackling the challenge at hand. It can be difficult for some, but I think it's important to welcome every challenge brought our way. You're going to learn things about yourself and/or life you never knew! And ultimately, you're going to be a stronger person after having overcome your challenge. I think it's all about your mindset and believing in yourself. We're all capable of achieving so much in life, but you need to believe and trust in yourself.
4. Do you have any favorite quotes, books, etc. you'd like to share?

A few that I live by are:

"Living the good life is not a matter of counting the days, but a matter of making the days count."


"Keep calm and carry on."


"Power through it."


"Give yourself back to the world each day."


"Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are."


“Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence.”


I also love reading books from Eckhart Tolle, Deepak Chopra and Dr. Wayne Dyer. Let's be honest, I love a good Danielle Steel romance as well:)


5. Anything else you'd like to add? Do you have any advice for our readers?


I'm in love with the word "Faith" and all it entails. I think having faith in yourself, God, life, possibilities, etc. is the key to living a beautiful, happy, peace-filled life. We all encounter moments where we doubt ourselves or maybe question why something happened, but when it boils down to it, it happened for a reason. We need to be accepting and embracing of what comes our way and have faith that everything will work out as it should. It always does!!!


Megan living on the edge with her friend Kandis :)

Thank you, Megan!
Megan - thank you for making my day better, and for being an inspiration to many! :)

1 comment:

  1. Great advice from a wonderful person! We all need reminders to be more positive, even when it's really hard! Megan is definitely a fabulous example of keeping a positive attitude no matter what craziness comes at her!

    ReplyDelete