Tuesday, August 16, 2011

10 Days of Health: Revisited


Well, my 10 Days of Health plan is over. My self-rating on a scale of 1 to 10 in regard to my experience and overall success: 5.5. This is why...

To revisit the plan:

10 Days of Health - FOCUS POINTS (in order of priority):

1. Sleep!

2. Cut back on alcohol.

3. Exercise daily.

4. Eat healthy.

...

SLEEP: This was the deal breaker that contributed to my 5.5 rating. While I've managed to get around 7.5-8 hrs of sleep the past few nights, the first 6 days of my plan were awful. I had the toughest time sleeping (mostly due to stress), and felt completely fatigued and lethargic in the mornings. I have learned that sleep can either make or break my overall health. My progress in other areas (ie exercise and diet) is truly hindered without enough sleep. Thus, the other focus areas were not as strong as they could have been during my 10 Days...

CUT BACK ON ALCOHOL: I will say I was successful in this area for the most part. I certainly wasn't booze-free for 10 days but I did cut way back (averaged 1 drink per evening).

EXERCISE DAILY: I did okay in this category (about 7 of the 10 days). I managed to go for long walks, a yoga class, a run, and even went hiking last weekend. Not too shabby. I would have liked to fit in more cardio to get my heart rate up, but perfection in this category is unrealistic. It's the effort that counts these days :).

EAT HEALTHY: I did okay in this category as well, minus my sugar consumption, which I've noticed has (somehow) increased in recent weeks. This is something I hope to address (stay tuned for a future post on sugar consumption).
....

MY CONCLUSION: It is always hard to do everything right all at once. Most often, we overcompensate in one area, or we fail trying to do each thing perfectly and become frustrated and give up. In the future, my recommendation is to pick one or two ( at the most) areas to focus on - perhaps just sleep and exercise. With enough sleep, you feel rested, less stressed out, have more energy to workout, and then will end up making better eating and drinking choices.

Some good food for thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment