Monday, August 1, 2011

Family & Friendship in D.C.

"A friend should be one in whose understanding and virtue we can equally confide, and whose opinion we can value at once for its justness and its sincerity."

Last Thursday, I went to D.C. for a work conference. Outside of meetings, I was able to see 5 out of 5 of my favorite people in D.C. - plus one dog. :)

On Thursday night, I hung out with my old high school friend, Seth, and his fiancee, Anna. We had the BEST time, and I was so happy to catch up with them. Anna went out of her way to pick me up at the airport, check me into my hotel (yes, I need this kind of assistance) and take me out for an AWESOME dinner at the Logan Tavern (where Seth and Anna had their first date - too cute!).
(L to R) Terrence, Seth, and Anna in Milwaukee at our friend's wedding last year

Seth and Anna are two of the most hilarious, kind, and loving people I know. We (of course) did nothing but laugh and share great stories the entire evening. Since a majority of my closest high school friends live out of state, I am always very grateful when I get to see them.

On Friday night, my friend, Eric, took me out to dinner at the most amazing restaurant, Art & Soul. We had excellent Spanish wine, lovely salads, a steak dinner, and a great dessert. The Art & Soul Staff was incredible, and had the most impressive customer service I've ever experienced at a restaurant (Seattleites need to learn from these folks).

Eric and I after dinner - note the cool building in the background...

Of course, Eric and I had such a fun evening. Eric is one of the most kind, sincere, giving, and honest people I know. He never hesitates to give me his true opinion, and motivates me to be a better person and stay true to who I am and what matters most to me in life (random fact about Eric: Eric's favorite expression is "Goose bump moment!").

On Saturday night, my cousin, Amy, picked me up at my hotel and took me out for dinner and drinks in Capitol Hill. On Sunday, we went to brunch and walked the market. Despite the 100+ degree weather (with full humidity) it couldn't have been a better time. Amy could not have been happier to see me or more generous with her time that weekend.

Amy & Jack - chillin at home...

With no cousins in Washington State (or anywhere close by, for that matter) my time with my family is of great importance to me. In addition, this weekend I got to see Amy's husband, Justin, and their fantastic and hilarious dog, Jack (who of course made me smile nonstop).

When I got in bed last night, despite my long day of traveling (which resulted in me being in a very cranky mood) all I could think was: "How blessed am I to have such wonderful people in my life?" I felt like the luckiest person in the world to spend quality time with 5 close friends in one weekend.

So...thank you, friends! (and Jack).

No comments:

Post a Comment