Tuesday, August 30, 2011

London calling

Last month, one of my best friends, Monica, left for London to start an adventure with work and life in general. This Wednesday, one of my best friends, Erin, leaves for London to start a new adventure with grad school and life in general. Notice a trend?

Erin and I this Summer in Leavenworth, WA

Last night, I treated Erin to dinner at Salty's on Alki to provide her with a proper send-off, and to thank her for being one of the best friends I could ever have (note: I did not leave the restaurant without crying). The other day, my friend asked me what Erin meant to me, and I struggled putting things into words. All I could say: "Erin is one of the most incredible people I know. She is a rock in my life."

Erin is (quite possibly) the most dependable friend I have. She is kind, fun, easygoing, and always a treat to be around. She is always true to herself. I am so grateful for the friendship Erin has given me. I am sad to see her leave, but couldn't be more happy for her to go to London and live the dream she's wanted for so long.

Blast from the past: Erin and I at dinner in April 2008 - yikes!

In reflecting on last night, I realized that it's not only important to be thankful for the friends we have, but appreciate what friends can provide, even when we are apart. I told Erin that one of my favorite things about our friendship are our nutty emails. I know that when I'm having a bad day I can send Erin and email with a subject line such as: "ASIDHAOISHDIAOSHDODOIASD" (I'm serious) and she will respond within minutes and make my day so much better. We also are great writing letters to each other, so have decided to become "postcard pen pals" while she's in London.

Erin - thank you for being you! I wish you nothing but greatness and blessings in London!

No comments:

Post a Comment