Sunday, October 30, 2011

Yoga Finding #4: Acceptance


Believe it or not - the above photo is a perfect illustration of my yoga class this morning :)...

I'll be honest...during my yoga class today, the following thought went through my mind for the first half hour: "I am the only normal person in this room." Today's class was the ultimate stereotype of a yoga class in Seattle: a bunch of hippie weirdos who wear strange clothes, do not wear deodorant, do not have normal social skills, and who are over-the-top in class - putting on a "visible" show to others during the session.

Now that I am done being judgmental, I will get to the "yoga finding" of today: Acceptance. About 1/2 way through class, my instructor came over to me as I was moving (too) slowly from one pose to another, and she said "don't worry about it, just enjoy where you're at." I realized that yoga is one of the few places where you can be completely who you are, be as weird as you want, and just BE in the moment, accepting yourself for who you are and doing exactly whatever your body needs that class. For this, I was very thankful. I needed to be just ME this morning and am glad I had the opportunity to do so!

Next goal: take a vacation where I can do yoga on the beach! Photo Source

No comments:

Post a Comment