Thursday, November 17, 2011

Emily's Mantra


Today I came across a simple and great status on Facebook from my friend Emily, who has been one of my favorite mentors for many years:

Mantra for today: "Allow a slow, silent, loving breath."

Truthfully, I wish I had read this yesterday morning, or anytime during my day yesterday (which was not stress free day). This quote makes me think about the word, Ahimsa, which I learned once in yoga class:

Ahimsa (Sanskrit: अहिंसा; IAST: ahiṃsā, Pāli: avihiṃsā) is a term meaning to do no harm (literally: the avoidance of violence – himsa). The word is derived from the Sanskrit root hims – to strike; himsa is injury or harm, a-himsa is the opposite of this, i.e. non harming or nonviolence.[1] [2] Word Source

The instructor said that during class, you should practice Ahimsa in order to not only be kind to others, but be kind to yourself. When you breathe as you move through yoga poses, you should use a "loving" breath for/towards ourselves and others!

I think Emily's quote should be a mantra or reminder for us every day! Thank you, missy!

No comments:

Post a Comment