Friday, November 18, 2011

Kicking the big C in the ASS


Today I received an email from a friend of mine. She had told me (earlier this week) that she was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer. To be honest, when I received the second email, I was not scared and I did not have a meltdown. This is not because my friend doesn't mean the world to me (because she DOES mean the world to me) - rather, it's because this woman is the strongest, most determined woman I know and I have ZERO doubt that she will fight through this in no time. My friend has an incredible group of friends supporting her and great faith to keep her centered.

I wanted to share her email with all of you. It is inspiring, heartwarming, powerful, and just awesome. It really put things in perspective for me today.

November 18, 2011



By now many of you have heard my recent health news: I have been diagnosed with early stage breast cancer. At first I was more than a little panicked; yesterday I transitioned into my “no-panic” mode. 

Colleen and Tracy joined me for a fabulous consultation with my Group Health surgeon. This meeting resulted in scheduling of a lumpectomy on Friday, December 9th. The game plan is: lumpectomy (day surgery), a few quiet days recovering and then, radiation starting in January. Oral chemo would follow (if required) after radiation. 

What I have learned this week:


You are the best family and friends in the world.
Prayers are welcomed – casseroles and flowers are unnecessary.

Please, books about dying are a no go!!!

I will not be defined by cancer – this is just a bump/lump in my road.
This is my challenge, and thus, I want to handle it my way.

My health care team is positive, professional and caring. I am not second-guessing their plan, and do not intend to seek second opinions.

Though it seems impersonal, e-mailing helps me spread the word.
Feel free to share my news and thoughts.

There are only a few days when I need nursing, and I have a capable, caring nurse in Colleen to handle it.

Christmas vacation in Arizona is on, and I might even be able to play golf…

My Catholic faith is my rock. I don’t know what I would do without it.


How you can join me on my journey:


Keep your prayers coming if you are the praying type. If you aren’t, try it … it works.

Spend more time volunteering instead of making me casseroles.

Schedule your mammogram.
If you see my car, stop by the house. As always, the bar is open.
Double a donation or two to your favorite charities and we won’t need our Team walks.

Make me your 4th at the bridge table or foursome
Share this with anyone (as long as they don’t deliver lasagna).

Thanks for listening—and caring. I appreciate your well wishes and look forward to a new chapter soon.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving and hopefully a Cougar Apple Cup victory!

My friend, her strength, and the power of positive thinking is truly amazing. If this letter doesn't prove it then I don't know what does!

No comments:

Post a Comment