Friday, February 3, 2012

Do you know your BMI?


BMI Category Waist less than or equal to 40 in. (men) or 35 in. (women) Waist greater than 40 in. (men) or 35 in. (women)
18.5 or less Underweight N/A N/A
18.5 - 24.9 Normal N/A N/A
25.0 - 29.9 Overweight Increased Risk High Risk
30.0 - 34.9 Obese High Risk Very High Risk
35.0 - 39.9 Obese Very High Risk Very High Risk
40 or greater Extremely Obese Extremely High Risk Extremely Hig

Table illustration provided by MedicineNet.com


Your Body Mass Index (BMI) can be defined as "a key index for relating a person's body weight to their height," which is a "person's weight in kilograms (kg) divided by their height in meters (m) squared. x" (Source).

I have always been a firm believer in knowing your BMI (Body Mass Index). I think it's a good method to use a few times a year to assess your general health. It's also very rewarding if you're looking to reach a goal weight (knowing what your BMI was before and after).

While I also believe that the scale doesn't lie, I do not think the scale is THE best assessment of your overall health. As a high school and college athlete, I knew countless women with knockout bodies who had a very small body fat percentage (with a small pant size) who weighed much more than you'd think. However, most of these women still had a healthy BMI.

Today I came across a great BMI calculator, called the "BMI Calculator Plus" by WebMD. It's described as: "an innovative health and weight calculator that gives personal results on 6 different weight and fitness measurements" (Source). Check it out here!

I liked using this system because it also gives you your waist to height ratio, which can be a more helpful health assessment for women who are muscular or pear shaped. I had never done this before.

What methods do you use to assess you health and keep you feeling grounded, without being too hard on yourself?

2 comments:

  1. BMI is important, but fat percentage is probably important as well.

    To keep myself grounded I just try to reach my fitness goal each week: 3 hours of weights, 9 miles running or walking. Very simple plan.

    www.thegirlieblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. completely agree. I love the way your look at your weekly plan. Do you do weights at home or at a gym?

      Delete