Saturday, February 25, 2012

Getting out of the February SLUMP


For weeks, I've been in a definite SLUMP. A "slump" for me is defined as the following: the times where (for weeks - not just a few days) I feel BLAH. I feel crappy about myself (often this means a few lbs heavier), bloated/icky, constantly tired, lacking motivation (especially when it comes to sleep/exercise/nutritional habits). I obsess with trying to figure out what is wrong with me, can't figure it out, and then get ticked off and join a pity party (real healthy, I know).

This week I had a big "aha" moment. After searching for answers to my slump, it finally hit me:
FEBRUARY.

Om, hello!? February!!!
I realized that (for the past three years) February has been a crappy month for me. My #1 speculation is the bad weather combined with the calendar: I'm always happy through October because the weather is great and I go on several vacations. During November and December, I'm filled with the holiday spirit and get to spend time with the people I love. In January I kick off the new year and go on a motivational high ("Here are my amazing NY resolutions! I'm ready to take on the world!"). However, once I work my way through February, I hit a standstill. Productivity? DOWN. Self confidence? DOWN. My home? A MESS. Margie? ICK.

Today I thought more about my February slump. I realized that having a logical/legitimate answer to my strange state of being was a relief, and I could accept how I was feeling and move on. THANK GOODNESS.

As of today, I am committing to push myself out of the slump. In an effort to hold myself accountable, I am sharing my focus points with all of you:

1. Taking care of my body.

This means:
more EXERCISE, better NUTRITION, and more SLEEP!

I am hoping to fit in just a couple morning workouts each week, along with evening walks with Lucy, and using one of my yoga Groupons. The line of thinking is not "work out every day," but rather "fit in little workouts more often so they will add up and you feel better overall!"

To address nutrition, today I did a fantastic grocery store run to pack my fridge and pantry with awesome food. I am thrilled to have so many healthy options, including (but not limited to): salmon, fresh bell peppers, oatmeal, whole wheat English muffins, fresh spring greens, and more Chobani yogurt :). I also hope to cut back on junk food, alcohol, and caffeine.

As far as sleep goes: seriously - just get to bed earlier!

2. Reading this book: The Gifts of Imperfection (by Brene Brown)

I discovered this book on Amazon and decided to just go for it. It arrived a couple days ago and I can say that I can't be more happy with my selection. The introduction and the table of contents were enough of an inspiration alone. I have never found a book that is more fitting for what I'm looking for. I highly encourage anyone to read this book. I'll be sharing my findings in upcoming weeks!

Book description from Amazon:

"In The Gifts of Imperfection, BrenĂ© Brown, a leading expert on shame, authenticity, and belonging, shares ten guideposts on the power of Wholehearted living—a way of engaging with the world from a place of worthiness.

Each day we face a barrage of images and messages from society and the media telling us who, what, and how we should be. We are led to believe that if we could only look perfect and lead perfect lives, we'd no longer feel inadequate. So most of us perform, please, and perfect, all the while thinking, "What if I can't keep all of these balls in the air? Why isn't everyone else working harder and living up to my expectations? What will people think if I fail or give up? When can I stop proving myself?"

In her ten guideposts, Brown engages our minds, hearts, and spirits as she explores how we can cultivate the courage, compassion, and connection to wake up in the morning and think, "No matter what gets done and how much is left undone, I am enough," and to go to bed at night thinking, "Yes, I am sometimes afraid, but I am also brave. And, yes, I am imperfect and vulnerable, but that doesn't change the truth that I am worthy of love and belonging (Source)."

3. Channeling some celeb inspiration!

If you know me, you know I'm a huge nerd for my "celeb kicks" - thinking of fabulous female celebrities who inspire me to get my crap together (in small, silly ways). Kind of the girl crush line of thinking..."What would Carrie Bradshaw do?"




When you're in a slump, what do you do to pull out of the slump?

No comments:

Post a Comment