Monday, February 6, 2012

My 12K Confession


Well, here it is: I signed up for a 12K yesterday. YIKES. Here I come, Seahawks 12K.

Actually the real version of the story is that I lost my mind and THEN signed up for a 12K. For those of you who are thinking "how long is a 12K?" here is the answer, to be exact:

12 kilometers = 7.45645431 miles (thank you, Google)

For a while, I have wanted to pursue a run/race of some kind but didn't know what direction to go. I run during the Spring and Summer but usually fail to keep up with it during the Fall and Winter months. I knew that in early March my gym membership would expire and I would need some type of cardio to occupy my fitness routine. The Seahawks 12K sounded like a really neat event (and of course, for a good cause).

Years ago, when I was training for a half marathon, I got to a point where I was able to run 3 times around the lake (8.4 miles) on my one long run of the week (on Saturdays) so I figure 7.5 miles is an achievable distance for me. However, I realized this morning that I have less than two months to get ready and need to start running this week! I am secretly glad that I will not have an opportunity to procrastinate my training.

This should be an interesting journey. I am excited, but also nervous. The truth is that in the past, I've always been too scared to sign up for these type of events because I always worry that if I don't meet a certain time or my training doesn't go as well as I hoped it would, I get down on myself and feel like I didn't do a good job. This is not a healthy habit for me.

Thus, my main reason for signing up for the 12K is to achieve a goal that is rooted in healthy intentions.

My old mentality was something like this: "I am doing this race to get a really good time, lose weight, and prove to myself that I'm awesome."

My new mentality is something like this: "I am doing this race because I believe that I can cross the finish line, and that's all that matters. It will be something new, fun, and healthy for me to focus on in my life."

I love this new mindset and am eager to enjoy running for the good reasons, not the "should" reasons. Stay tuned for updates on my running progress and the journey ahead!

2 comments:

  1. Don't be nervous. Running becomes easier once you start. Seattle has great trails with beautiful views too. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet! thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete