Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A new happiness perspective

Today, I read another wonderful post by my new favorite Blog (marcandangel.com), entitled "10 Good Reminders for Stressful Times." The first point was so helpful because it gave me a refreshing way of looking at the concept of happiness during times in which I don't feel entirely happy:

"Happiness is never constant, and it’s not supposed to be.
You have to fight through some bad days to earn the best days of your life. To believe that you can reach a state of happiness and stay there forever, is like the tide believing she can reach for the shoreline and remain there forever; or like a fruit tree believing that if she only holds on tighter, she can keep her fruit from dropping to the ground. Happiness is simply a series of moments that come and go and add sweetness to our lives. Learn to accept this, and the more happy moments you will have. Read The Happiness Project." (Source).

I love the idea of appreciating a "series of moments" that "add sweetness to our lives," rather than hoping for a constant feeling which is (likely to be) an unrealistic expectation as we walk through life. I am thankful that I read this quote at the end of my day - tonight will be a much more peaceful sleep!

Speaking of The Happiness Project, this book was recommended to me by several friends in recent months, and arrived at my door just the other day (thank you, Amazon). In fact, I plan to read it (and Blog about my findings) in the near future!

What does happiness mean to you?

4 comments:

  1. This book sounds interesting. I like feel-good reads.

    Happiness to me is being with my family. Always.

    Hope you get lots of Zzzz's tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read the HP. I am now reading another book (called The Gifts of Imperfection) that is seriously amazing (I'll be blogging about). I love your family feedback - so sweet. Same for me!

      Delete
  2. OMG, I'm IN LOVE with the quote above!!!! It truly rang home with me and I'll be heading to the library:) shortly to pick it up!

    One thing I've learned about happiness is that you you don't have to be "doing" or "going" to be entertained and happy; it's important to find happiness in just "being".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you like it! I really like it and read it at the best time possible. Great point about "being." That is actually what I'm trying to find. I don't like the idea that we should have to "do" something in order to feel happy. We should be able to feel happy (but not always, as the quote reminds us!) in our own presence.

      Delete