Sunday, February 19, 2012

Port Angeles Adventures

This weekend I went to visit a friend of mine who has been living in Port Angeles (WA) for almost one year. I had never been to Port Angeles before and I was really excited to go. For one, Gayle is an incredible friend and mentor in my life, and for two, I really needed to physically remove myself from Seattle to destress and not think about life at home.

This weekend was short and sweet but well worth it. In summary:

1. Dinner at Next Door Gastropub
Gayle took me to her favorite restaurant in town. It was absolutely fantastic. My dinner included a fresh garden starter salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette, a portobello mushroom burger, and yam fries. Not only was our meal (and the service) wonderful, but I discovered a new wine that I LOVED: "Eye of the Needle" Harvest White Chardonnay, made by Haystack Needle Winery in Woodinville, WA.

2. Girls night with
Vicky Cristina Barcelona



I absolutely love this movie (along with most Woody Allen films). Gayle had never seen it before and we both laughed the whole way through. If you are looking for a funny (dark humor), sexy, smart, and quirky film (or just an excuse to check out Javier Bardem) this is the one for you! The acting (especially by Penelope Cruz) is brilliant, too.

3. Site seeing in Port Angeles (including a visit to Crescent Lake!)

The scenery in PA was beautiful. It is one of the northwestern most cities in WA and you can technically see Canada from the beach! Crescent Lake was one of the prettiest lakes I have ever seen.

4. A visit to Harbinger Winery

Gayle and I did a wine (plus chocolate!) wine tasting at Harbinger Winery. The people were great and it was quite the crowd! We got to try four fabulous wines along with four homemade chocolates that we paired with each. I also got to sample a Chocolate Porter brew that the winery somehow had on tap! Of course, I came home with two bottles of wine (a red and white) which I'll be saving for a special occasion.

When I got home this weekend, I took a bath, changed my sheets, and cooked myself a healthy dinner (after greeting Lucy, of course). It was a great way to end the day. I thought about how important it is to get out of town when I've hit a wall or need a break from life at home. Seeing the incredible scenery in PA and experiencing new wines and food made me think more about all life has to offer - just one ferry ride away. :)

Thank you, Gayle, for a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. You are kidding. We were just there a while ago. A very quiet, quaint town. Lovely PNW place. Glad you had fun girls' weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your weekend sounds AMAZING!!! It looks absolutely beautiful and you two did what I think every girl's weekend should consist of! Yummy food, movies, wine and laughter - so glad you had such a great time!

    ReplyDelete