Sunday, March 25, 2012

Becoming carb conscious


I have never been someone to worry about my carbohydrate intake. In fact, I am somewhat against low carb diets and think that carbohydrates (the good kinds) are an important part of an active and healthy lifestyle.

That being said, lately I've realized that my diet has been a bit out of whack and I would like to be more conscious of what foods I'm consuming. While it's not an area of great concern, I'm realizing that I could scale back in some ways. For example, do I always need a piece of toast with my scrambled eggs? Can I skip the dinner roll? Can I have one beer instead of two? Can I eat a smaller portion of pasta with my spaghetti dinner? Definitely...YES.

For the next few weeks, I am going to try start being simply conscious of my carb intake and scale back when/where I can. When we are eating a reasonable, healthy amount of carbs, we feel better and function best. I believe this type of "quality control" helps us maintain our weight (and blood sugar) as well.

My diet today (thus far) has included a soy latte, scrambled eggs, and a yummy arugula salad with fresh tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, and Balsamic Vinaigrette. I'm one happy camper!

No comments:

Post a Comment