Friday, March 16, 2012

Nutrition: Staying on Track


Today I came across a great article/slideshow from WebMD.com entitled "Best Diet Tips Ever - 22 Ways to Stay on Track." While I am mostly an opponent of the word "diet" I do love many of the pointers and wanted to share with you!

Here are my favorites. To check out the full slideshow, click here.

1. Drink plenty of water!
It's easy to confuse thirst with hunger. Also, water is so good for you!

2. Be careful about night time snacks.
"Mindless eating often occurs in the evening." I like the idea of having a cut off time (ex: 8:00 PM) after dinner so that you hold yourself accountable. This has always been a tricky area for me!

3. ENJOY your favorite foods.
Don't cut things out entirely! Have a treat now and then, but make it a good one, and remember portion control. I'm all about a piece of quality dark chocolate, or one glass of great red wine.

4. Eat protein at every meal.
I like the idea of integrating protein into every meal, within reason/without overdoing things.

5. Stock your kitchen with healthy, convenient foods.
In recent weeks I have gotten a bit behind in my normal grocery shopping routines, but am trying to be better about prioritizing frequent trips to make sure I always have a decent option for daily meals.

6. Always eat breakfast. DUH!

7. Include fiber in your diet.

8. Get enough sleep.

9. Keep a food diary.
When I was living abroad in Scotland during college, I lost 13 lbs in one semester from this method (with a lot of walking as an added bonus!).

What have you found to be your most helpful nutrition method/strategy?
Link

No comments:

Post a Comment