Sunday, March 4, 2012

What being a good friend is all about


Today I've been playing Sex and the City (Season 6) while getting odds and ends done around my home. While watching "The Ick Factor" (when Miranda gets married and Samantha tells Miranda she has breast cancer), I was reminded about the gift of friendship - specifically the definition of a great friend: selflessness. I loved this exchange:

Charlotte: "See, this is what we were afraid of...go back to your people and we'll talk about it later."
Miranda: "You are my people and we'll talk about it now."

I love Cynthia Nixon's demonstration of true friendship in this scene. It's so clear how much she makes Samantha a priority (without even thinking) on her wedding day. This selfless quality is something I truly value in my closest friends. In the end, I think it's what ultimately makes a friendship strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment