Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The why's of motivation

This morning I went for my neighborhood loop walk. It was incredible. It was such a peaceful, quiet, and happy morning. This was my third walk of the week after having put off my morning walks for a while.

On the way back to my house, I had the following thought:

"If a morning walk makes me THIS happy, why in the WORLD don't I go all the time? What is it that makes it so difficult for me to just get off my butt and go?"

In thinking further (trying to narrow things down), the technical "barrier" is the following: the act of getting out of bed, going pee, putting on my walking outfit, grabbing Lucy's leash (and poop bags) and heading out the door. Literally, that's it.

So - why is that SO hard for me? You'd think that based on my "emotional high" each morning (getting exercise, spending time with my dog, breathing fresh air, and doing something so healthy for myself) that it would be a no brainer. I guess the answer to my question is: because I'm human. Humans get tired, lazy, and make excuses all the time. It's okay to sleep in instead of going for a walk now and then.

However, today's walk was a reminder of a post I did a while back (entitled "Thoughts of empowerment") about the BIG impact that little daily actions can have have on our lives. It got me thinking that perhaps I don't believe in my ability to (more often) rise above and exercise my willpower (that exists somewhere in my being).

Who knows. All I know is that I am proud of myself for getting off my butt today. I can't wait to go on more walks, especially with better daylight and warmer days this Spring! Lucy is a fan of the idea too.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post! It's soooo true and I can definite relate! As I'm sure your other readers can as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margie, I did the SAME THING this morning and had the exact same thought. But first I laid in bed for 15 min debating whether or not getting up for my morning exercise was a good idea. There were SO MANY silly excuses that I could think of, but as soon as i was up and out the door, it was a no-brainer. Very interesting thoughts on empowerment and willpower! That makes sense-- thanks for the motivation and let's get up and move!

    ReplyDelete