Friday, April 27, 2012

Serving for your own happiness

"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others. "
Mahatma Gandhi (Photo Source)

I'll admit that I've been a bit behind in blogging - for a good reason.  Tomorrow is a special day.  It's my biggest work day of the year (this means the past month has been one of my biggest work months of the year).  Tomorrow 1,000 volunteers will restore the homes of 22 low income homeowners and nonprofit facilities in one day.  Volunteers will help 15 elderly homeowners, 11 families with disabilities, eight nonprofit organizations, six veterans and their families, and three families with children. 

As I worked my way through the afternoon and thought about all that will happen tomorrow, I thought "Wow.  I believe in the goodness of humanity."

As I've talked about before on this Blog, I believe that service is truly a component of wellness.  Giving of your time and your SELF to OTHERS is a powerful thing.

The other day, I read (yet another) fabulous post by marcandangel.com entitled "12 things you should be able to say about yourself." Number 3 was: "I am making a difference."  Marc and Angel write: "Is it true that we all live to serve?  That by helping others we fulfill our own destiny?  The answer is a simple ‘yes.’  When you make a positive impact in someone else’s life, you also make a positive impact in your own life.  Do something that’s greater than you – something that helps someone else to be happy or to suffer less" (Source). 

I love that service provides happiness both to others and ourselves.   What a peaceful thought.  Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment