Sunday, April 8, 2012

The simple smoothie


I've always liked smoothies but have never been a huge fan. The sugar load (especially in store bought or processed brands) is way too much for me, and I don't end up feeling satisfied. In the past I've tried to create elaborate, protein rich smoothies, but never really liked the way they tasted.

Today I had a new discovery: the simple smoothie. The thing I like the best about smoothies is that when you make them at home, you know exactly what is going into them. The ingredient list is very straight forward - no mysteries! This afternoon I made a smoothie that was the perfect little snack.

Strawberry-Banana Simple Smoothie

-1/2 of a fresh banana
-4 fresh strawberries

-3 ice cubes
-approximately 3/4 cup of Silk soy milk


YUM!

2 comments:

  1. Margie, I have an even better smoothie recipe that doesn't involve ice cubes (I hate when you get ice chunks and i don't like the ice-and-milk-combo). Frozen fruit is the key! And substitute with whatever frozen fruit you have, they have great frozen berry mixes at most stores.

    (for 2 smoothies or one large smoothie!)

    6-8 Frozen Strawberries
    1 Frozen Banana (this doesn't HAVE to be frozen but to be honest.)
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    Agave nectar (or honey) to taste. I use a generous squeeze a few times around. Like, probably 1 tablespoon, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! Sounds fabulous! Will def give it a try. I usually do frozen fruit but I decided recently to give (whole/fresh) fruits a try. I like it, but the texture is definitely different. I find that having a frozen banana is key. :)

      Delete