Thursday, May 17, 2012

Random thoughts about life (by Noelle Smithhart)


 
Meet my friend, Noelle!  I first met Noelle through my work and then (in small world Seattle fashion) connected with her through other friend channels.  The thing I like the most about Noelle is that she is REAL.  She is honest, insightful, authentic, intelligent, passionate, and caring.  Noelle is very devoted to the community she lives in and spends a lot of her time volunteering, networking, and helping others.  
 
Today I came across the most awesome status update by Noelle.  I asked her if I could share her words with all of you.  As you know, this Blog is about the concept of wellness, which I believe is NOT just one (or three) things.  In order to track all of the wellness elements I address on Showing Up for Yourself, I use blog labels (or "topics").  These labels show how multifaceted wellness is, and it provides a way for each reader to find something that resonates.  As I looked at Noelle's post, I was able to find EIGHT wellness labels - Proof that Noelle rocks!

Here it is:
 
Some random thoughts: Life is beautifully complicated. Drama is unnecessary. Almond milk makes delicious foam and the perfect tea latte. I was recently reminded to cry. I was recently given permission to be angry. These are powerful things. I don't anger easily. I love my Mom so much it makes me cry. I'm smitten by my baby niece and could never see too many adorable pics of her or hear too many anecdotes from Carter and Lisanna.  I also love them - so much.  Bradford and I get along so well because we laugh at each other's fart jokes. And because of a zillion other little things. I'm obsessed with planning our trip to Thailand this fall with Buttercup and Elizabeth Diana.   I love my neighborhood. I'm excited for Seattle Works Day.  I always find that it doesn't matter what other tricks I do - hard boiled eggs peel best if the eggs are a little older. Music is therapy.  I've recently had a poem accepted into a festival and it makes me blush. 2012 has been rough this far. My thumbnail is almost grown out again. I miss my Dad. I love leaving my window open this time of year. I adore wearing my Chaco's. I'm anticipating a lot of things. I'm learning to meditate. I'm craving routine. I'm craving adventure.
 
My favorite thing about Noelle's post was that she was "recently reminded to cry" and "given permission to be angry."  Earlier this year I hit a bit of a rough patch.  I became obsessed with trying to "fix" things and couldn't handle NOT being "okay."  I tried to convince myself that I shouldn't be angry or sad (as if it's never okay to feel those things?!!).  It was only until I gained acceptance of myself in the present, embraced feeling (frankly, shitty), and took a closer look at the meaning of happiness that I got out of my slump.
 
Thank you, Noelle, for being REAL.

No comments:

Post a Comment