Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Starting the day with downward dog

Don't you wish your morning looked like this? (Photo Source)

Today I woke up, walked out of my room, and went straight to my yoga mat to go into downward dog.  I immediately felt my body really waking up - that did include a few aches and pains, but the good kind.  Last night I did another brutal workout at Sassy Fit and knew that I'd be incredibly sore the next morning.   It felt so great to open up my back and stretch my hamstrings at the same time. 

The release of tension in my body was also symbolic of releasing tension in my day.  This morning, all I could think about was the overwhelming list of things to get done at work and felt anxious and unsure how to proceed.  As I was in downward dog, I thought "Margie, just let it go.  Your worry (and pain) is exiting your body right now..."  I felt my mind gradually quieting down.

I've always heard that downward dog is a very effective pose that has a lot of benefits to your body and overall well being.  I was able to find an article that highlighted a few - pretty impressive!


The role of downward facing dog is vast. Done properly and consistently, the most noticeable benefits include:
  • Stronger hands, wrists, low-back, hamstrings, calves and Achilles tendon
  • Decrease in back pain by strengthening the entire back and shoulder girdle
  • Elongated shoulders and shoulder blade area
  • Decrease in tension and headaches by elongating the cervical spine and neck and relaxing the head
  • Deepened respiration
  • Decreased anxiety
  • Increased full-body circulation
So glad I started my day this way! 

Article Source: http://www.active.com/mindandbody/articles/Pose_of_the_Month__Downward_Facing_Dog.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment