Monday, July 16, 2012

The simple subtraction of calories!


During the month of July, I've been focusing more on my health - in particular, being mindful of what I'm eating and how much I'm exercising.  Today I started thinking about easy ways I can cut calories, while still enjoying the foods or meals I want. 

In case you aren't familiar, one pound of weight translates to 3,500 calories.  Thus, if you're trying to lose weight, this is an effort to cut around 500 calories per day through a combination of decreased calories and/or increased exercise.

In regard to decreased calories, I was thinking about the last 24 hours of eating, and simple ways I've managed to do so:

-At dinner, I cooked with a small quantity of olive oil compared to my usual amount (75 calories saved)
-Morning coffee (with cream) skipped (30 calories saved)
-At breakfast today, I skipped my usual slice of toast with my meal (150 calories saved)
-At lunch today, I asked for less mayo on my sandwich and skipped cheese (200 calories saved)
-At dinner tonight, I asked for dressing on the side (at least 50 calories saved)

GRAND TOTAL: 505

Note: this did not include the walk I went on after work today along the canal (so lovely)...

What are the little ways that you can cut back this week?  Taking the stairs? Skipping chips with your sandwich? Subbing a salad instead of fries?  Go to it!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. Those sneaky calories can really creep up. I lost the last of my pregnancy weight by being mindful about what I eat. Totally works.

    ReplyDelete