Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A kind reminder


I may have posted this quote here before, but wanted to post it again.  I believe we should be conscientious every day about the way we treat those around us.  I also think that the way a person treats strangers says a lot about his/her character. 

Let me tell you a little story about when this quote smacked me in the face the other month.  I was on a plane flying to a work conference in Philadelphia in June.  I was tired, a bit irritable, and anxious about work and life in general (nothing new).  While I was trying to relax and take a nap, the person behind me kept on kicking my chair throughout the flight.  I was getting more and more frustrated as the flight progressed, and even looked at my neighbor and said "is he kicking your chair too?!" 

Just as I was about to turn around and give a disgruntled "look" to the mystery person sitting behind me, I saw the flight attendant approach the person's chair.  More kicking began, but I soon realized that this person was getting out of his chair and into a wheel chair that the attendant had brought over to him.   I looked over and saw the most happy, kind, old man sitting in his wheelchair.  The attendant proceeded to push the thankful man down the aisle, bumping into other chairs, just so that the man could use the restroom.

For a moment, it felt like the world froze where the message or lesson I was learning sunk in so deep. I instantly felt like crap.  The whole situation just broke my heart.  Here I was, in a huff about my chair being bumped while a poor old man needed help getting out of his chair.   I thought, you never know who might be sitting behind you (note: that's an analogy). 

No comments:

Post a Comment