Sunday, September 30, 2012

From work, to appreciation, to SELF


If you're one of my regular readers (who I get text/emails from if I haven't posted a new article in three days - you know who you are), you probably noticed that my Blog went to almost "nonactive" in late September.

Quick recap of my life: my organization had our annual fundraiser on Friday night.  This meant that for the past two weeks, my entire staff worked until 9:00 PM 7 days a week (yes, that means Saturdays and Sundays too) until the event was over.  This also included lots of long hours and weekend work days in August.  Yesterday (after the event was over), I worked a full day with the post-event banking, announcements, etc.

This month, I didn't really have an opportunity to focus on my wellness.  I think I exercised once over the past three weeks (as opposed to my normal 5-6 days per week), and my "workout" was a 30 minute walk.  I didn't have time to grocery shop or cook healthy meals.  I managed to spend time with a friend once, which was an impromptu "happy hour" at 8:30 PM with my dear friend Maria (it was a LOT of fun, for the record).   I got to see my family once.   Last, but not least, I didn't have time to write (journal, blog, etc).

What's interesting in all of this is that I never once felt resentful about working so much.  I think it's because I love my job and felt so good about my hard work that the other things didn't matter to me.  I thought "I know it's a Saturday night at 9:00 PM and I'm at the office, but I am so lucky to A) have a job, and B) have a job I love."  My addiction to work ended up being a happy and healthy one.

This morning I woke up feeling so excited about the day and the new month ahead.  If September was "the month of work," October will be "the month of self."  My focus in October will be taking care of myself (along with my home, and Lucy - who I've been referring to as my "neglected dog").  I'm not sure if I've ever felt so excited to be at home, clean my house, and take care of myself. 

You probably saw or watched the youtube video that I posted above.  I came across this video last week, and it quickly became my "pick me up" during those long work nights.  It somehow reminds me of my recent experiences, and trying to be grateful for the little things, along with the big picture.

Something else I'll be looking forward to this month is a little bit of self indulgence (just being honest).  I started this off yesterday with a trip to West Elm (note: I parked my car in a 30 minute load/unload zone to put a cap on my shopping time).  I found my most favorite candle (was thrilled it was still available) and splurged on a beautiful faux-fur throw, which I had been wanting for a while (and will put to great use this Fall on cooler nights).

Today I am watching the Seahawks game, blogging away, and thinking about the new month ahead.  I am grateful.

How will you make October a great month?

No comments:

Post a Comment