Monday, September 10, 2012

Pushing through intimidating tasks


My great friend, Marianne, shared this quote with me and our friend, Maria, the other week.  Marianne and I have always joked (although we are kind of serious at the same time) that "we only do things we know we're good at!"  Yes, it's true.

It is not instinctual (at least for most people) to try new things that intimidate us, especially when we fear we might fail the first time.  So, we lean toward activities where we know we'll succeed and keep our self esteem on an upward slant.

The above quote is particularly relevant to my plans for today.  Tonight I am going to my first hot yoga class (Bikram Yoga, to be technical).  I got a Groupon months ago and have absolutely been avoiding it ever sense (yes, for some reason I am a tad hesitant to submerge myself into a heated room for an hour and a half).  Since the coupon expires tomorrow, I have no choice other than to take the plunge and head to Bikram Yoga tonight after work.  I consider it a blessing in disguise.

In all seriousness, I am excited to go to the class, because I know that when I am done with the class I will feel so proud of myself for going - mostly because I will have pushed myself to do something out of my comfort zone and try something new.  In addition, this month I have been focusing on practicing yoga, so developing by hot yoga practice will be a great way to honor that commitment.

Lately I have been learning about how my thoughts (both negative and positive) have the power to influence the outcome of various situations.  For instance, if I go into this yoga class thinking "This yoga class will be challenging but so rewarding!" - that positive outcome is much more likely to happen, vs. me saying "I am dreading this class and it's going to be miserable."   In other words, we often get back what we put out, both in our thoughts, energy, and actions.

What is one thing you could do this week to challenge yourself?  What is something in your life that you would like to see become easy after you push through the hard stuff?  Keeping a clean kitchen?  Reading that book that's been on your shelf for two years?  Running an 8K? 

Marianne (L), Maria (C), and myself (R) - fun times!

No comments:

Post a Comment