Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Meeting Miss Happy



Tonight was one of the best nights I've had in a long time.  It was a very happy night.  This was because (1) I spent time with two friends who bring a LOT of happiness to my life, and (2) we spent our night by listening to (and meeting) a true happiness guru: Gretchen Rubin.

In case you don't remember reading my post about the Happiness Project in August, I blogged about a couple books that I loved.  One was Gretchen Rubin's Happiness Project.  It is a fantastic, upbeat, energizing book about a woman who decides to devote a year to living her life intentionally on a quest for happiness, by focusing on one aspect/area of her life each month.  GREAT read.

Tonight, Marianne, Maria and I headed to 3rd Place Books in Lake Forest Park for Gretchen's introduction of her new book, Happier at Home.   Gretchen spoke for a few minutes, and then opened up the audience to questions.  Marianne (of course) had a great question in regard to keeping resolutions at the beginning of the week, but not so much toward the end of the week (or month).  Gretchen had a great suggesting of giving yourself a rating each day on your resolution area to keep you motivated and focused on building the habit. 

After the speaking session was over, we waited in a long line to get our books signed by Gretchen.  She could NOT have been nicer.  She was so authentic, down to earth, funny, friendly, and kind.  We were so excited to tell her about our own happiness project we were working on, and she was equally excited for us. 

Tonight reminded me how important it is to prioritize the adventures that you know will make you happy.  I now have a new book to read by a brilliant author, and am so thankful for the fun memory created tonight with my closest friends.

Thank you, Gretchen, for providing such a positive impact on our lives!  You are the best!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Margie, I am soooooo happy for you that you went!!! I still need to read the first book and will be anxious to check out her new one!!! FYI, LOVE the pics of you girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing night with amazing friends!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and did you know that Gretchen used to be an attorney and up and quit because she decided she wanted to be a writer instead :) Love it! I read The Happiness Project earlier this summer, I think when I was waiting for Jonah to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan - thank you! Yes, you definitely need to read the first book :). Marianne - definitely amazing. Sarah - yes, such a great story, and I'm glad you read it! She talked about her life journey and change in career when she spoke.

    ReplyDelete