Sunday, October 7, 2012

The gift of a beautiful morning


This morning I woke up at 7:00 AM due to construction work across the street from my building.  I'm not gonna lie - I was really annoyed (note: it's Sunday morning).  This was not the first time the workers have begun construction in the morning earlier than city laws dictate. 

Not able to get back to sleep, I decided head outside for a walk with Lucy.  It was the best possible way to get rid of my (somewhat petty) negative energy and make my morning a positive one.  Words cannot describe how beautiful it was this morning.  Seattle has seen the most incredible weather this season, and it just keeps on going and going!  Yesterday, we passed 70 degrees - in OCTOBER.  Let me tell you, when it rains this Winter I am not going to complain.

The reason why this morning was so great was because of the way it made me feel - happy and peaceful inside.  When I went to sit down at the park bench, I closed my eyes and just listened.  There was no noise other than the cool morning breeze. 

There is something so powerful about being outside when there aren't cars driving by, people yelling, or music playing.  Whenever I have these moments, I am reminded how important they are.  We are constantly bombarded with noise every day - TV, radio, cars, internet, phones, neighbors, etc.   The quiet times often bring us the calm we need to keep things balanced in our lives.  For that, I am thankful.

When is the last time you found "quiet" in your life?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Margie! This is Meg Anderson, from HNA. I have been reading your blog for awhile now, but I don't think I have ever commented. I have been thinking a lot about quiet moments over the last month or so, since moving to Peru with my husband. During this last month of 24/7 togetherness, there hasn't been a lot of quiet moments (if you knew my husband, you'd understand). I'm actually currently enjoying my first quiet alone time in a month and happened upon your post. Great timing. Just thought I'd share.

    Take care,

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg!! So great to hear from you, and thank you for reading my Blog - how sweet! I'm glad you got something from my recent post, it really hit me yesterday when I was sitting at the park. Perhaps you could carve out one time each week (ex: Weds nights) where it is quiet time for you? :)

    ReplyDelete