Sunday, November 25, 2012

From one blah day to two GREAT days


On Friday night, I sat at home in a complete state of blah.  If you've been reading my blog for a while, you know this usually happens once every couple of months.  Friday night I didn't really have anything to complain about, but I was feeling sad, restless, sluggish, alone, and down in the dumps.  I hadn't had a productive day, and I didn't feel happy or healthy.

Fortunately, I was able to pull myself out of the state of blah (after a good night's rest).  I am a firm believer in the power of positive thinking and the idea that we can decide what kind of day we are going to have.  Sure, life doesn't always throw us the easiest situations - however, we are ultimately in charge of how we respond to the obstacles we encounter.  We can choose to have a good or bad attitude.  We can choose how to spend our time.  We can choose to take care of ourselves and our health or ignore it.   At the end of the day, it's up to us. 

At the same time, as I've said here before, I also believe that it's okay to not be okay.  It's okay to need one night (or two) to sit around and throw a pity party, and then decide to move on when we're ready.  Thus I decided to pull out my journal and move myself in the direction of progress:

(11-23-12): So today is not my day, and that is okay.  I cannot feel perfect every day, in every way.  So tonight is going to be my off day, and tomorrow will be better.  I will wake up with greater energy and a sense of the new day and the opportunities ahead.  I will take time to do things that are healthy for me, and I will be kind to myself.  I believe that tomorrow I will make progress and take steps toward my health and happiness.  I deserve to be happy, to have a healthy body, and to live my life fully.

Fortunately, my journal exercise proved to be rather effective.  I started out my Saturday with the most amazing yoga session.  The entire time I was there I thought "I am SO GLAD I am here.  Why don't I do this every Saturday?!" (Note, I promptly went home and put this yoga class on my calendar for the rest of the year).   After taking Lucy to the dog park, I showered, put up grown up clothes (yes, it's an accomplishment) and met my family at the Fremont Brewing Company for a fun beer tasting.  We drank awesome ales and laughed the whole time.  I then watched the Notre Dame vs. USC football game with a fantastic, spicy chili dinner (thank you, Mom)!  Instead of going out on Saturday night, I watched The Good Wife and then went to bed and got 10 hours of sleep!  It was a day full of pick me ups.

To no surprise, my positive energy kept on going on Sunday.  I started out this morning with a power walk with Lucy in the neighborhood (a 100% guaranteed mood booster).  Then I watched the Seahawks game (I won't mention details of the loss) while cleaning my place.  Later, I went for a run with my friend Alex, which I had been putting off for way too long.  It felt great to do the loop and feel that sense of accomplishment.  I then met my friend Carly for a walk at Discovery Park, my favorite place in Seattle.  It was such a beautiful day.  In addition to getting more great exercise outside, I felt so fortunate to be around Carly.   Every time Carly and I hang out, I leave feeling energized and happy.  Carly is an honest, fun, and beautiful person (inside and out).  This afternoon reminded me how important it is to surround myself with friends who are guaranteed to make me feel better whenever we hang out.





To finish off my day, I went grocery shopping and cooked an awesome, healthy dinner.  Fresh salmon, baked asparagus, a vege, chickpea, and pine nut couscous side dish, and a fresh garden salad - with red wine, of course. :) I also managed to take a hot bath and relax for a solid 30 minutes.  I am now taking time to blog, which I haven't done since earlier this month!  


How are you going to turn tomorrow into a great day?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I just LOVE this! You are such an inspiration - we've all had those blah moments, but I love how you embrace them and use them as motivation to make your next day a great one. Also, LOVE the Lulu zip-up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Megan! I cracked up reading your Lulu comment haha!

    ReplyDelete