Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thanksgiving reflections on friendships


On Thanksgiving Day, I signed onto Facebook and saw what felt like 200 status updates proclaiming what everyone was thankful for (that day/in that moment/in general).  While I appreciated some of what I read, I wanted to enjoy the holiday and let things sink in a bit so I could truly reflect about my life and my blessings.

After a long weekend, some great exercise, great wine, and much needed rest, I decided to brainstorm a bit on this topic.  What spoke out to me most this year were the ladies (yes, ladies) in my life who have made a big difference to me.   Friends who have made me happier, simply by their presence and positive energy.  Colleagues who have stuck by me through thick and thin.  Family members who have made me laugh every day since I can remember laughing for the first time.  People who have loved me unconditionally.

I wanted to share about a few friends who have made a big difference to me this month:


My friend Mariko (pictured on the left)
Mariko is like the sister I never had.  She and I went to the same high school but didn't start spending QT together until after college.  Mariko is honest, loving, funny, quirky, and compassionate.  Every time we are together, I walk away feeling like the past hour (or two) could not have been better spent.  The other day, Mariko texted me just to see how I was doing - asking if I was really okay, because she felt that she needed to check up on me (how sweet!).  Mariko has been there for me these past few months while I've been learning more about myself and the relationships in my life.  For that, I cannot be more grateful.


My friend Sarah (Sarah is on the left, hehe!)
Sarah is like a 2 for 1 gift :).  She's my colleague and my friend.  Sarah and I have been through a LOT together - both personally and professionally.  This Summer, Sarah gave birth to a beautiful baby boy, Jonah.  While Sarah was on maternity leave (and since she's been back) I've realized more and more how much I appreciate Sarah's presence in my life on multiple levels.  Sarah and I are a true team at work.  We see eye to eye (both personally and professionally) and have great conversations.  At work, we share a common vision and get things done.  We understand each other and enable each other to succeed at what we're each good at.   Aside from this, anytime I'm having a great or bad day, I can email Sarah right away to express how I'm feeling.  We also share the same sense of humor (often self-effacing) which helps get us through the day - no day is short of laughter.   I know I will never take colleagues like Sarah for granted.


My friend Erin (pictured above, right)
This year, my dear friend Erin moved back home from London, and then onto Boston!  I am truly excited for Erin to start her new live in the city she loves, but I miss her soooo much.  Fortunately, Erin is the most reliable communicator and I can always count on her to respond to my nutty texts or send me fun emails during the week.  My favorite thing about Erin (besides the fact that she is SUCH A GOOD FRIEND) is that she appreciates the simple things in life - watching a favorite movie or TV show, drinking a cup of tea (or Guinness :), or cooking dinner together on a Friday night.  For this reason, whenever Erin and I talk or spend time together, we always have a blast no matter what we do (we always manage to make the smallest things seem like an epic adventure).  For that, I am thankful.


My friends Marianne (L) and Maria (R)
I have known Marianne and Maria since I was a freshman in high school.  We refer to ourselves as "M3."  Marianne (M1), Margie (M2), and Maria (M3).  When we are together, we are absolutely over the top, ridiculous, (definitely annoying to the public), but also awesome.   Last Wednesday I was able to spend QT with the two of them, and it reminded me of how grateful I am for them.  They are truly incredible and so much fun to be around.  They understand me completely and every time we're together we laugh so hard.  You can't put a price on that!


My friends Anna (pictured below on her wedding day!) and Megan (pictured above!)
I could go on and on about how wonderful these two are, but in this post I will refer to Anna and Megan as my #1 Blog readers and cheerleaders :).  Anna and Megan have read my blog since day one, and they never have stopped encouraging me.  They give me great feedback and are constantly my source of inspiration to keep on writing.  In addition, they are incredible people and awesome friends.  What I appreciate the most about Anna and Megan is that they are so honest and loving.  They can admit good or bad days, and say "this is me, world! take it or leave it"  Gosh I love these gals.


Who is a friend you have been particularly grateful this holiday season?  Let him/her know! :)

5 comments:

  1. I loved reading about how grateful you are for the family and friends in your life, but to be included in the list took my breath away. I am sooo grateful for you and for the friendship we share. Just think - it all started with a much-needed walk for some coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so honored!!! I am thankful to have you in my life, Margie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan - thank you! Sarah - thank you! You two are simply amazing and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thankful for YOU, Margie. I swear if I didnt have you in my life I would not laugh nearly as much nor be very sane. You make me feel pretty lucky. LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete