Saturday, December 29, 2012

Not doing what makes you happy - really?

We can all aspire to these abs, right? (Photo Source)

The other day I had lunch with my wonderful friend, Anna.  We got talking about exercise and our weekly routines (or lack thereof).  Anna once completed a full marathon and used to run often, but had slowly gotten out of the habit of running (sounds like me - minus the marathon part). Recently, she told her husband that she "hates" running and didn't want to do it.  Seth looked at her and said "Anna - that is crap. You love running.  What are you talking about?" Great point, Seth...

In thinking further, Anna and I realized that as much as we say we dread running and don't like it - really, we do.  It makes us HAPPY.  It is so healthy for you, mentally, emotionally, and physically.  Name one time you went for a run or worked out, and left not feeling glad you did?

It's interesting how we make excuses that prevent us from doing things that make us happy (the best book I have ever read on this topic is Excuses Begone! by Dr. Wayne Dyer - I highly recommend reading).  When I think about why I don't run, it's not because I don't like it - it's because it intimidates me.  The idea of going on a run often seems daunting because when I'm out of practice, I don't really enjoy those first couple of miles.  I feel disappointed that I'm not running as fast as I used to, and fearful of the journey that it will take to get there.  Then I figure I might as well just not run.

Moving forward, I know that the best thing I can do is to start SMALL.  Instead of saying I "should" run three times a week, why not run once a week?  Instead of worrying about a mile time, why not just make it a goal to finish the run period, and feel proud of myself for that? 

What is a fitness activity that intimidates you, but you really want to do deep down inside? 

2 comments:

  1. I love this and it's sooo true! I'm a big fan of TurboKick and recently took up Boxing Bootcamp as well. The class is WAY too early for me and it's soooo intense, which all amounts to one thing - INTIMIDATION! BUT, once I'm halfway through class and feel the sweat dripping, I can't help but smile and be so thankful that I decided to go.

    Sometimes, you just have to give yourself a little push and know that ultimately, you're really benefiting your body!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan - thank you for sharing! That is so great. I totally agree...focusing on that feeling during/after the workout is key because it's total motivation when you are debating not working out!

      Delete