Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Christmas (tree) in January


Last Christmas (as in 2012) was not exactly my favorite.  One of the reasons why was because I didn't manage to stop, relax, and enjoy the present.  Part of enjoying the present (for me) means enjoying the little things that make me happy during the holiday season - including (but not limited to) my Christmas tree. 

My memory of my Christmas tree last month was lugging my tree (yes, artificial) and decorations upstairs from my storage unit, throwing everything together in an hour, and calling it a day.  I don't even remember sitting down one night by the tree with a glass of wine and looking at the tree itself.  How sad!

After the New Year, I decided that I wanted to ignore all "rules" and extend my Christmas tree time.  Yep it's January 22nd and it's still up - loud and proud!  Ironically, I've been sick for about a week so it's given me plenty of time to curl up on the couch, watch a few shows (Parenthood is my latest favorite!), and look at the tree.  I've been reminded how thankful I feel to have a home that gives me shelter and keeps me warm.  While I'd rather be well, this extended down time has been a great way live in the now.  I can now look back at Christmas and say "it was a good one."

When was the last time you broke the rules or did something unconventional to enjoy the present?


No comments:

Post a Comment