Tuesday, January 22, 2013

My sick week revelations


I've been sick for about a week.  After another day at home, feeling like crap, I'll be honest in saying that I am SO SICK of BEING SICK.  Common now, can we just move on?!

The good news: when you're sick for a long time, you get to spend a LOT of time sitting around and thinking :).  This week I thought a lot about my health and how I spend my time.  I was sick enough that getting outside, running errands, spending time with friends, exercising, eating normal food, or getting things done at home were all NON options.  For the icing on the cake, the weather was so beautiful.  I felt trapped inside, thinking of all the things I could be doing outside in the sun.

This week I thought about how often I take my health for granted...how often I look outside and think "it's a great day for a run" and then decide not to...how often I eat an unsatisfying or unhealthy dinner instead of taking the effort to go to the grocery store...how often I say I'm going to clean up my room and then throw my clothes on the floor instead...how often I sit on the couch instead of taking my adorable dog for a walk (poor Lucy).

It's weird how when something isn't available to us how much more we want to do that thing.  I've had so many chances this month go for a run, get back into my gym routine, clean out my closet, grocery shop to prepare healthy meals, and go for walks outside.  Why don't we take advantage of these opportunities when we have them?  Being lazy, distracted, nervous, tired, etc. are all common excuses, but it's weird how easily we dismiss these privileges when we have the opportunity to execute.

So, what's the take away?

Point 1: I will never be able to (and shouldn't) master one task perfectly - that is for sure.  There will always be the days where I stay at home instead of working out, or grab happy hour instead of cooking in.  It's the reality of being human.

Point 2: Despite #1, I want to make a commitment to going for it more often.  There are the times where I know (deep down inside) that saying "yes!" is the only thing I need to do to make things happen.  People always say that the hardest part about running is putting on your shoes.  I believe this is a popular saying because it's true.  Things get done once we make them a priority and decide to just go for it.   I hope to have more of these moments for the rest of this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment