Thursday, May 9, 2013

It's all about the cherry blossoms...


The other day I woke up earlier than expected, and decided to go for a walk.  It proved to be the most beautiful morning.  It was like a scene out of a cheesy movie - the sun was shining, birds were chirping, kids were getting ready for school, and there was a calm, constant breeze.

About half way through my walk, I came across a house on the corner that was enveloped by cherry blossoms.  There were eight trees surrounding the home, four on each side.  It was such a gorgeous scene that I felt compelled to stop and soak in what I was seeing.  At that moment I realized how much happier I was than when I woke up.  I felt energized, relaxed, and at peace.  I felt ready to take on the day, and confident that it would be a great one.

This, my friends, is what I call a cherry blossom moment (a newly invented nerdy term).  Cherry blossom moments are those times in which you decide to do something positive for yourself and your health, and all of a sudden you have that "I'm so glad I did this!" happy feeling (large or small) when you see the fruits of your labor.

When I'm debating whether or not to put an effort into something, I've learned that it's really helpful to remind myself about how I'll feel once I've accomplished that task.  Sometimes going on a run feels so daunting and 90% of me wants to just avoid it and sit on the couch, but when I think about that crazy high I feel at the end of my runs, that 10% is often all I need to move my rear. 

At the end of the day, it's all about the cherry blossoms...those moments that make us come alive.  The moments where we feel happier, healthier, more at peace, and one step closer to living the life we've envisioned for ourselves.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! I think it's so great you choose a phrase for those special moments in your life - so cute! Thanks for sharing :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megan! I thought of you when I was writing it hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, aw, love! It was actually great food for thought for me and really hit home last night - I actually stopped and thought, "Wait, is this a cherry blossom moment?" :)

    ReplyDelete