Sunday, June 9, 2013

Banana Chia Seed Pudding!


This year I learned about the benefits of chia seeds after reading an article on MindBodyGreen about 5 foods to "eat yourself slim."  Supposedly, chia seeds are one of the most nutritional foods you can eat.  They are super nutrient dense with a great balance of healthy carbs, proteins, and fats, in addition to iron:

"Chia seeds are a powerhouse food that will change your life. When mixed with liquid, chia seeds gel up into a pudding-like texture, which is perfect for breakfast, snack or dessert. Mix up some chia seeds with almond milk, dates/maple syrup, and some cacao nibs, and you won't believe that you're making yourself slimmer" (Source).

On my recent vacation to Arizona, I tried out a Banana Chia Seed dessert at an amazing healthy restaurant called True Food Kitchen in Scottsdale.   It was incredible - the most tasty (seriously) healthy dessert I've ever had.  Of course, I was determined to search for chia seeds at the grocery store when I returned to Seattle AND re-create the dessert at home.  To my surprise, it turned out awesome!  The recipe at TFK included both banana and coconut, but I just found one with banana.  I used agave for the sweetener, soy milk instead of water, and a little bit of nutmeg (in addition to cinnamon) for fun.  Note - my friend Jessica and I found that using soy or almond milk does not work that well - the chia seeds do not expand the same as they do with water, and doesn't create the best pudding like texture.  Thus, we'd recommend using water (as the recipe states - duh :).

I love discovering desserts that are legitimately healthy for you and taste great.  The recipe is also versatile - it can also serve as a breakfast or snack option.  Tonight I made a double batch so that I could have it on hand whenever I'm in the mood.  Enjoy!

Banana Chia Seed Pudding

makes 1 serving


1 banana
1 1/2 Tablespoons chia seeds
1/2 cup water
1/2 Tablespoon natural sweetener such as honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
dash of cinnamon


Combine half of the banana, chia seeds, water, sweetener, vanilla, and cinnamon in your blender or food processor. Process until mixed. Pour the pudding into a bowl and allow to sit for 15-30 minutes. The chia seeds will absorb the water and thicken the pudding. When ready, slice remaining bananas on top of pudding and serve. (Source)

1 comment:

  1. I tried this! Oddly delicious! My first few bites I couldn't decide what I thought, but it seriously tastes like banana pudding and I'll definitely make again!

    ReplyDelete