Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Knowing (and sticking to) your awesome zone!


This morning I sat down at my dining room table to enjoy a fresh cup of coffee, check email, upload some wedding photos, and read a favorite blog.  I listened to the morning neighborhood noise and felt the cool breeze blowing through my home.  As I began to write, I thought "I just love my mornings.  I am so happy to have this time."

The above (simple but authentic) scenario is what I describe as my awesome zone - where I am most likely to feel happy, at peace, productive, and like myself.  A large part of this is that I am 120% a morning person.  I have the greatest energy, motivation, and zest for life in the morning, period.  I can think of few things that would make me happier than starting my day with a walk at a beautiful park, writing to-do lists for the day, reading a book, listening to music, or stretching on my yoga mat.  I love the mornings because they are usually the most quiet time of day when you don't have as many interruptions, such as phone calls, people yelling, or cars driving by.  I usually have my greatest "aha" moments about myself and life in general in the morning - I feel inspired to learn and take action.  I also feel the most in tune with my faith when I start the day and take a moment to say a prayer in thanksgiving for another beautiful day and all the opportunities ahead of me. 

In the evening I tend to (mentally, physically, and emotionally) shut down and lose my enthusiasm for activities that I typically find motivating in the morning, whether it's working out, cleaning, writing, or talking to friends.  In the morning I feel like I can take on the world!  In the evenings, if I am tired or not wanting to be around others, I don't like the energy I put out into the world.  When I hit my mid 20s, I could not wrap my head around how IN THE WORLD I managed to survive the post-college early 20s weekend bar and events scene with my friends until 2:00 AM.  I certainly had a blast and am grateful for the memories, laughter, and life-long friendships developed during those years, but I know it wasn't representative of "me" - it's just what I was magically able to pull off at the time :).

I am realizing more and more how important it is for me to be intentional about creating time for myself in the morning.  Starting my day right is something I value.  This also means going to bed early enough so that I can wake up and enjoy that morning zone! 

When is your awesome zone during the day?  How does it make you feel?  How can you make more time for these moments?

No comments:

Post a Comment