Tuesday, August 13, 2013

SFL Finding #2: Follow the four-by-four rule



It's been a while, but it's time for another Slim for Life Finding :).  In Chapter 1 (Eating) Jillian Michaels talks about managing your meals.  One of her tips (besides the obvious "don't skip any meals, especially breakfast" (24), is to follow the "four-by-four" rule:

"I also don't want you 'grazing' throughout the day.  I don't want you 'eating small meals' - you know, the six-small-meals-to-boost-metabolism theory.  I think that's utter crap.  When you snack throughout the day or eat many small meals, you release insulin.  This insulin release promotes fat storage, because your body is trying to burn off and utilize a constant flow of sugar to the bloodstream from nonstop eating" (25).

So what's the solution?
"I want you to eat every four hours.  There's only one time of day when I want you to snack, and that's between lunch and dinner" (25-26). 

I particularly liked this concept because I have never been someone who has enjoyed eating (small meals) throughout the day.  I feel weird, sluggish, always full, and never am able to lose or maintain my weight.  I have always done much better eating 3 meals a day and being intentional about what I'm putting into my body.  I like feeling (reasonably) hungry and enjoying my meals instead of force feeding myself - it's more satisfying.  I suppose that I will need to give 4 a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment