Sunday, September 8, 2013

Facebook revisited


On May 9th, I decided to deactivate my Facebook account for a number of reasons - primarily, for greater privacy in my life and better use of my time.  I can't believe that it's already been 4 months since then!

Lately I've been asked by a lot of people if I'll ever rejoin Facebook, and my response is consistently "I don't know."  I've been happy with my experience, but I miss having Facebook specifically to communicate with close friends and relatives who live out of state.  With my Seattle friends, I can see them whenever I'd like and don't need Facebook for photos and regular life updates.  I also miss not being in the loop about events going on.  While my friends have gone a pretty good job keeping me in the loop, I've missed receiving invitations to a variety of events.  I really enjoyed organizing events with friends on Facebook, especially during the holidays and the Summer months. 

As far as what I've learned or do know - I know who my closest friends are.  The concept of Facebook "friends" is truly an interesting one - A majority of my "friends" on Facebook have not communicated with me since I gave up Facebook, and I'll admit I haven't reached out to them either.  While I do think that there's something to be said about Facebook serving as an actual tool for regular communication these days (ex: some people prefer Facebook over email), I have discovered the friends who have taken the time to call or email me to ask how I'm doing, or invite me to events going on.  To no surprise, these are the same group of people I imagined would follow through when I went into this whole thing.  Kudos, my friends.

Who knows...if I do go back, I will be doing a significant "friend" detox and I also will be more conscientious about the time I spend on Facebook, and not allowing negative energy to transpire.  It's just not worth it!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment