Saturday, May 17, 2014

Time for a Spring clean!


When you read the title of this post you probably thought: "Yes, I need to clean my home and take boxes of stuff to Goodwill too."  True story for me as well.  However the 'Spring clean' I'm referring to is the cleaning of my body.

I've had a lot of fun since Spring began, but I also have not taken the best care of my body.  Unfortunately, my gym closed down in March and that was a huge bummer for me.  I absolutely loved my gym and truly miss my routine of morning workouts and yoga classes on the weekends.  I also haven't been eating as healthy.  As the weather gets nicer in Seattle, that also means cold beers and white wine for me, which are delicious, but not a tummy tamer.

The other day I told my friend Lulu that for me, health is not about a number on a scale - it's about how I feel from the inside out.  Just like my blog, health is looking at things holistically.  When I am practicing a healthy lifestyle (note: this includes nutrition, exercise, the outdoors, quality time with friends, sleep, etc), I FEEL healthier.  I am more awake, happier, more confident, and more at peace. My skin even looks better!  I feel more inspired to continue being healthy and achieving my goals. 

I also have a strong desire to enjoy this Summer feeling truly confident about my body and being as active as possible.  For my non-Seattle native readers, Seattle is the most beautiful place to live in the Summer.  It is 80 degrees, sunny, with no humidity almost daily.  The days are long and the evenings are beautiful.  You are outside all the time and are always moving, so therefore tend to be at your best, fitness wise.  In short - the Summer months are incredible and a precious time for me.  I don't want to look back after Summer is over and say "I sat around moping and feeling unsatisfied all Summer long instead of living it up and feeling awesome." I have several fun trips planned, including going to Leavenworth and my favorite annual trip to Colorado to visit my cousins.  These trips both involve lots of swimsuit time and being active - ie added motivation.

So, what does the cleaning of my body mean for me?


1.  Education
I always find it helpful to read books about healthy living while I'm focusing on meeting my goals.  You get new ideas, feel inspired, and am more motivated to be healthy.  Recently I started The Lean, which gives awesome, practical daily health strategies (ex: drinking 8 glasses of water each day, eating a heart-healthy breakfast, etc).  I am also going to read The Science of Skinny, which was recommended to me by a friend of mine.  It's all about understanding your body and practicing life-long healthy methods that are not about dieting, and is written by a very well respected author.

2.  Get moving!
As Michelle Obama says, if you want to be healthy you've gotta get moving!  This can be anything - from cleaning my house, going to the gym, going on a power walk, going for a hike, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or doing some abs on my exercise ball.  I've learned that all the little things DO add up.

3.  Eat like I want to be healthy!
While I am normally a pretty healthy eater, I have gotten a bit off track and haven't been as intentional as I should be about my choices.  I would like to strive for eating more produce, fish, and healthy fats and trying to scale back on some of my not as healthy habits - especially beer, candy, and any processed foods.

4. SLEEP
As always, sleep is so critical for your success.  I have gotten better about going to bed earlier but would like to continue focusing on this. I am someone who needs 8 hours of sleep - in fact, a vast majority of people do. 

What do you do to practice healthy living?  Is it time for a Spring clean?  If yes, please join me!

2 comments:

  1. I love this!!! I'm trying to do the same thing - really clean out my body and take the best care of it I can. I'm right there with you - with summer approaching, I want to feel my best and look my best, and not worry about how I look! It'll all be based on how great I feel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in! For me, this means intentional workout classes/yoga that are pre-scheduled so that I stick to them, and packing my meals during the day. Also, my apartment could use a good spring cleaning as well :) Let's do this!

    ReplyDelete