Saturday, June 21, 2014

The perfect and hopeful summer solstice evening


This month has been filled with work - and lots of it.  So much that I feel like I'm constantly treading water.  On Tuesday we had a major program event (which lasted until 9:00 PM and resulted in me getting sick Weds through Friday), and then today I hosted an all day regional meeting.  Needless to say, I've been needing a substantial break from the chaos and cannot be more excited for this Summer. 

When I got home tonight at 8:00, I was disappointed that I didn't get to enjoy the day the way I wanted to.  However, when I looked outside my window I was taken aback by the beauty and of the evening.  It was unusually quiet in my neighborhood for a Saturday, and there was such a happy energy.  I decided to end my day with a walk outside...

Brand new home with the most gorgeous, contemporary architecture 
Peace rose - my absolute favorite flower

A plant which I love but do not know the name of :) Any experts?

After my walk I sat down to watch the longest sunset.  It was so peaceful to spend a Saturday evening at home and just reflect.  I thought about how lucky I am to live where I do and felt thankful for that moment to myself (with Lucy, of course).  I thought about how excited I am for the Summer ahead and all of the amazing surprises in store.  My hope for this Summer is to live it intentionally by doing the little things that fulfill me:  to savor the sunsets and long days, read on my roof deck, go on more evening walks, drink more water, meditate, blog, run, sleep, pursue enriching friendships, and take care of myself.  I want to be more selfish (in a good way) and give to myself - just like I give to my family, friends, and work.   

What do you want to make out of this Summer?

1 comment:

  1. I just think this is so fantastic, and what's funny is that your Saturday night was my Friday night! It's so important to take those special moments to practice mindfulness and truly reflect on how blessed we are and to appreciate the beauty that's all around us :)

    ReplyDelete